gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dino head work
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:40 am 

Don't have all the parts yet but they are coming. I agree that the heads will no longer be the limiting factor.
Thanks, I understand, I was country once. Would like to be again, but can't make a living in the country yet.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:23 am 

I'm looking forward to the simulation graphs and hoping at least one will be the "what if" variety showing many hundreds of hp at about 12000 rpm :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:36 pm 

I need to do a what if. The heads are soooo bad. I'll be lucky to get 275 hp out of it. The intakes just don't flow at all.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:19 pm 

Hot cams from that time had a lot of duration to try make up for the horrible flow that they didn't yet understand was horrible. 250-260 @ .050 lift. I had 270 in my H-D race bike and it idled pretty well at 1000-1200 and with egift you'd probably be fine on a street car with something similar.

Depending on budget you could do a custom intake to hold maybe 44mm carb bodied cause that small carbs don't flow either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:05 am 

The carb bodies have been modified into throttle bodies and will have injection. It is injector over the stack, but still injection. We will see what flow (air) it has too.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 am 

FoaTech wrote:
The carb bodies have been modified into throttle bodies and will have injection. It is injector over the stack, but still injection. We will see what flow (air) it has too.

Yes, but what size butterflies?

The 40mm carbs that come on 308s are WAY too small, 48 is about the right size to make good power on those engines and I suspect the same is true on a 246. A 40mm on a nice 308 head is about a 10% loss, so really painful to see installed after you've worked so hard for every cfm in the head. The TBs on the frankenferrari are 54mm and are a little less than a 1% flow loss after I cut the shafts as thin as I dared and sunk and ground the screws smooth.

With carbs going big to make HP means losing the bottom end and street-ability, at least with simple carbs. But EFI means none of the concerns about vacuum or reversion down low applies. As long as you can measure the air flow somehow (I use the vacuum signal but a TPS or MAF also can work) you can supply the correct amount of fuel and it will run well. That means the correct size TB is go up until you you can't see it on the flow bench....if you play with it in DM you'll see it changes the runner taper and that changes the strength of the waves and power so you don't what to go too big...but flow restriction % are pretty directly power lost on most setups so you certainly don't want to go too small if there is any way to avoid it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:18 pm 

I agree. But I am not in charge of the whole project. I do pass on my thoughts about all this and I expect to get the throttle bodies to actually test and know where we are, but not yet.

I just got another project that is way worse. It is an Alfa Mondial and the head and throttle body is a disaster on an epic scale.
9mm stems and 30 degree seats. Oh and the corrosion issues as well.

Attachments:
IMG_4438.jpg
IMG_4438.jpg [ 67.56 KiB | Viewed 13880 times ]
IMG_4437.jpg
IMG_4437.jpg [ 71.83 KiB | Viewed 13880 times ]
IMG_4436.jpg
IMG_4436.jpg [ 84.39 KiB | Viewed 13880 times ]
IMG_4435.jpg
IMG_4435.jpg [ 88.62 KiB | Viewed 13880 times ]

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:32 pm 

Man!

The dents look on purpose? Like they were trying to fix something worse?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:58 am 

Yes, clearance for not thinking it through. It is so crude it is laughable. I guess I can make it better but does he have the budget to fix all that? I am thinking not to the extent that I want to fix it. We shall see.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:41 am 

If you find tubing with a similar OD and radius it's a quick fix to just cut out the dent itself and tig in a patch....maybe 2 hours all in? But 8 guess that means moving something else....and the money added up. I o ly work for myself or Lana so ome times I forget a bill normal follows the work :)