gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:14 am 

Got little done yesterday with the only machine related item of the day being we watched the new top gun movie last night, just awful. Its basically the same movie as the original as in scene for scene, character for character remake) and made worse because they released it to streaming with lowish grade audio (not even normal dolby much less 5.1 or atmos...I mean who really wanted to hear the jets flying past or over head anyway right?) so it doesn't even fully benefit for 30 years of movies getting technically better. It was Tom's most profitable movie to date and I would say one of his worst, not sure there was even a full 5 minutes that were engaging.

Today I have a little clean up to do on the cylinder bases where I beat them then see how the spray work to build them up.

For the record, I now the right thing to do is hone the block to smooth the roughish tool marks in the spigots then make a new set of liners that fit properly....and it this is another failure that is where I'll head next. The paint was so close to working, has I not had to pop out a leaking liner I've probably have gone to my grave swearing it was a good solution...it filled the space and the pistons and bores look good. but the liners bonded to the block could have been part of my leaking head gasket issues. The graphite will take up space and had good compressive strength but really can't bond anything so shouldn't have the same issue I had with the paint. It not I've got all winter to fix it properly.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:45 pm 

mk e wrote:
If not I've got all winter to fix it properly.

Here's hoping that the graphite works well enough to count as a proper fix. :)

Did any of the remaining liners show that issue with uncured epoxy?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:51 pm 

Syscrush wrote:

Did any of the remaining liners show that issue with uncured epoxy?

Yes, many were glues to the block, that was what caused all the drama removing them

I got distracted by the driveway....the paving guy did a piss poor job but before deciding to tear it out and start over I decided to spend some time and a few hundred $$ to see if it can be made acceptable.

I put 9 2 gal buckets of filler and fist rain was this (so imagine how it looked before)
Attachment:
4be0ac28-b4bc-4250-a1ee-d2a8e7cfd33e.jpg
4be0ac28-b4bc-4250-a1ee-d2a8e7cfd33e.jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 3388 times ]

Then 5 more buckets
Attachment:
2c5283f8-6e3b-4a71-92ba-c9f6c83ea0e1.jpg
2c5283f8-6e3b-4a71-92ba-c9f6c83ea0e1.jpg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 3388 times ]

Visually it looked good so I put a coat of sealer on and here is what I had...so close
Attachment:
61db4a41-7ef0-4ea0-9b4a-07513b4a2cea.jpg
61db4a41-7ef0-4ea0-9b4a-07513b4a2cea.jpg [ 602.59 KiB | Viewed 3388 times ]

Last night another 1.5 buckets. rain is coming tomorrow so I will either seal Friday or one more touch up Friday and seal Saturday.

Than back to the car....I still have 3 weeks vacation to use before the end of the year so I may dig into that to get the engine tested again before the weather turns horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:58 am 

Just checking in. I am alive and well. ;)

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:50 pm 

I know, I know.....delays on the driveway project.

In other news, you may not be following but Lyman, pronounced the same as Le Mans, is nearly encircled....which is really important in the war in ukraine, but makes me chuckle because Le Mans has been encircled for about 100 years, duh :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:09 am 

You tube showed me a video on illegal car accessories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14u2VA2Ru_8

and the 2nd one (about 3:46) is a kit that includes the exhaust cut-outs that looked like the valves I use so I googled it and found they have a controller for it
Attachment:
exhaust valve.JPG
exhaust valve.JPG [ 47.6 KiB | Viewed 2736 times ]

I was planning to use the ECU to open the valves at a set MAF value or something like that so when HP goes over about 250 which the 2 quieter mufflers can easier handle the valve open on the loud mufflers that add another 800hp of exhaust flow. Its all build
Attachment:
2015-10-17 003.JPG
2015-10-17 003.JPG [ 345.52 KiB | Viewed 2736 times ]

But the valves are wired open because when I bought the valves the company had only valves leaving me on my own for the control stuff and the 12V solenoid I bought from mcmaster needed air pressure to work (DOH!). So I just ordered the anew one so hopefully when the engine goes back in I can get that working so the neighbors and local law enforcement hate me less.

...hmmm....I kind of went on a tear hooking the dash to the ECU so I need to have a look to see if there is anything left on the ECU to hook this to

I don't know why but my motivation to get out to the shop has been near zero the last couple months. I literally did nothing but watch TV the past 2 weekends :oops: I do need to close the pool this weekend but testing the graphite spray to see if it will give me what I need is also high on the list as I really do want to know if the winter is for suspension rebuilding or perhaps making a new set of cylinders

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:25 am 

another 0 car work weekend :cry: ..but I did get out to the shop and get the stuff off the bench that was standing in the way so that's at least a step closer. The bench itself is a bit of a mess as my son did some 3d printing and saw no need to clean up when he was done so I need to have a chat with him about that....but clearly he was just following the example i set with engine parts laying everywhere so I can't really be too mad. I do want to fire it up again before winter so I really need to get at it....I think its just feels like running in circles and its become more a chore than a project...or and the geo unit for the basement arrived Friday so at some point I need to install that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:19 am 

Oh no it's him again. My guess is that your lack of motivation is because you aren't convinced you have a good solution for the cylinder liner to block gap .The thought of making 12 more liners has to be a real downer .There are a lot of new plating technologies out there have you talked to US Chrome or some of their competitors? There might be a way to fix current liners ............

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:17 pm 

That is the issue but there is some nuance to it. I don't mind making a new set of liners but explaining costs is getting increasingly harder so I'd rather not....especially since I'm still not certain the head gaskets will seal and stay sealed. Also I kind of just needed a break.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:53 pm 

mk e wrote:
That is the issue but there is some nuance to it. I don't mind making a new set of liners but explaining costs is getting increasingly harder so I'd rather not....especially since I'm still not certain the head gaskets will seal and stay sealed. Also I kind of just needed a break.

Not having a clear path forward is always discouraging. You'll get there once the plan solidifies in your head.
Is there a plater near you who can plate up the ODs of your current liners a bit?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 220  Next